[Maildev] Engineering Council or Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) - where art thou?

Mark Rousell mark.rousell at signal100.com
Fri Aug 31 16:46:38 EDT 2018

On 31/08/2018 18:37, Jörg Knobloch wrote:

> Well, you realise that Magnus wants to get rid of the colour options and
> you want to make them even more discoverable ;-)

Quite! This does seem to me to be a fundamental difference of expectation.

Allowing users to choose text and background colours if they want may
well result in tasteless colour choices (or not, as the case may be) but
it is nevertheless an entirely reasonable expectation if Thunderbird is
to support HTML email[1] in the modern world. There is no future for TB
if it can't provide full featured HTML email support, and that does mean
it has to support text and background colours.

> That said, the
> current colour pickers aren't really good since the only offer the
> limited basic HTML colours. None of them are actually really suitable as
> a background, I've tried. You want something more subtle, like some very
> light colour, and the colour picker doesn't allow that. But you can
> enter it as the preference and at least the picker will show it. The
> problem is that some mail services don't or only partly honour those
> colours, so using a template with CSS is certainly a more sophisticated
> approach.
>
> As for HTML editing: Yes, that's sadly missed, that's why I offer the
> add-on ThunderHTMLedit (mostly forked from Stationery, with improvements
> and bug fixes) and Stationery also has a HTML editor, these days even
> more modern by switching to Ace (https://ace.c9.io/).
>
> Our friends from Postbox have an inbuilt HTML editor, they use "Code
> View" (https://www.postbox-inc.com/features/html-editor).

Yup, there are many ways in which HTML composing could be improved in
TB. I recall that modernising the compose window was discussed some time
back.

Your HTML source editor extension is very useful for sorting out issues
when the built in wysiwg editor seems to make odd choices about what to
do (especially when editing replies with quoted text).

Footnote:-
1: Which, as I observed in my reply to Ben just now, can perfectly well
include CSS nowadays.

--
Mark Rousell