[Maildev] Engineering Council or Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) - where art thou?

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Fri Aug 31 17:26:48 EDT 2018

On 31/08/2018 22:20, Ryan Sipes wrote:
> Man, this thread has a lot going on! I think having the two issues being
> discussed in this thread doesn't make either single discussion as
> effective as it could be. It makes sense to bring up the HTML editor
> issue insofar as you are pointing out a decision that the module owner
> could make in opposition to what some contributors may want.
>
> But I think it would be worthwhile to focus on just one of these issues
> in the thread. I'd like to see the conversation around the HTML editor
> play out and see what Magnus, as the module's owner, ultimately makes as
> a decision (if he hasn't already made it). And then move on to a thread
> focused on the ESC and whether or not it is necessary. I think the
> former helps inform the latter conversation.

I started the thread in its many variations on Maildev and tb-planning.
The intent was to discuss the ESC on tb-planning and to given an example
here why conflict resolution is necessary.

In general, the module owner model is the one of a ruling tyrant, even
if they get "buy-in" from others. That's why Kent started a plan to
introduce more decision makers, in fact in a Council meeting it was
voted that four people, technical directors, should become decision
makers for mail/ and mailnews/ issues. The plan was also to establish an
ESC of some form. And that still hasn't happened. You an read it again here:
https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/2017-July/005610.html

Currently the situation is that the patch Magnus wants to land is
opposed by Richard, UX submodule peer, and myself, Thunderbird module
and compose submodule peer. So frankly I don't see how, even under the
current rules, the module owner can decide to land something without
sufficient peer review and approval.

For the future I'd like to see a duly empowered panel/committee which
will simply vote, in fact, on any issue, big or small. If in this case
there are more HTML friends than foes, HTML wins, otherwise it loses.

Jörg.