[Maildev] Engineering Council or Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) - where art thou?

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Fri Aug 31 13:37:44 EDT 2018

On 31/08/2018 18:45, Mark Rousell wrote:
> It is a bit unobvious, isn't it, but making it more obvious is perhaps
> part of a wider issue with discoverability and editing workflow in the
> compose window (especially in HTML mode). I don't think I'm saying
> anything radical when I say that the compose window could do with some
> serious updating, especially the HTML editor.

Well, you realise that Magnus wants to get rid of the colour options and
you want to make them even more discoverable ;-) - That said, the
current colour pickers aren't really good since the only offer the
limited basic HTML colours. None of them are actually really suitable as
a background, I've tried. You want something more subtle, like some very
light colour, and the colour picker doesn't allow that. But you can
enter it as the preference and at least the picker will show it. The
problem is that some mail services don't or only partly honour those
colours, so using a template with CSS is certainly a more sophisticated
approach.

As for HTML editing: Yes, that's sadly missed, that's why I offer the
add-on ThunderHTMLedit (mostly forked from Stationery, with improvements
and bug fixes) and Stationery also has a HTML editor, these days even
more modern by switching to Ace (https://ace.c9.io/).

Our friends from Postbox have an inbuilt HTML editor, they use "Code
View" (https://www.postbox-inc.com/features/html-editor).

> I just want to add that I realise that I am sticking my oar in as a
> user whilst not offering direct coding contributions. I feel guilty
> about that but, for the time being, I'm not in a position to offer
> more. Nevertheless, I hope that what I can contribute has some value.

I think it has :-)

Jörg.