[Maildev] Engineering Council or Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) - where art thou?

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Fri Aug 31 11:21:02 EDT 2018

On 31/08/2018 16:30, Mark Rousell wrote:
> A question to everyone here: Is there a strategic roadmap anywhere?
> I'm very sorry if I haven't noticed one! Please do tell me where it
> is. Or are things that contribute to or reflect what should be
> strategy still being decided on an ad hoc issue by issue basis by
> those who are in de facto control of implementation?

I'm not aware of one. For the hotly contested add-ons issue for example,
this is all we've come up with so far:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_63

But we hired Magnus as a technical manager
(https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/2018-August/006127.html),
so we can look forward to some planning now.

As for the colour issue, the current suggestion looks like this:
https://bug690644.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=9003086

I think adding tooltips explaining the dangers is a good idea. The UI
for the "per message" setting is rather poor (compose window, Format >
Page Colors and Background), and there isn't an option to make the
individual setting global, which is also a good idea.

Jörg.

P.S.: Thanks Mark for you long contribution, it was very interesting to
read fully ;-)