[Maildev] ESC: (possible) conflict resolution #1 - bug 690644, was: Engineering Council or Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) - where art thou?

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Aug 30 19:30:07 EDT 2018

Jörg Knobloch schrieb am 20.08.2018 um 21:26:
> On 20/08/2018 09:42, Magnus Melin wrote:
>> Let's keep these discussions in the relevant bugs though.
>
> Well, no, since Ben asked me to post it here to inform anyone
> interested in the technical discussion.
>
> If no agreement can be reached by the people involved in the bug, a
> decision has to be reached somehow, otherwise the issue remains in a
> deadlock and the current situation which is bad - on which
> surprisingly everyone agrees - will just be locked in forever.

I'm in favor of *not* setting a background color by default. (Last time
I checked, we did set a background color by default, which I think is
wrong, but it's a long time ago that I checked).

I would even be in favor of not allowing the user to set any color.
(Note that if we allow the user to set a foreground color for some text,
we need to also set the background color at the same time.)

I don't care much about the UI, but "[ ] Set background color
[colorpicker]" makes sense to me. For the UI, I refer to Richard, who is
in charge of the UI. The ESC is *not* in charge of the UI, only of
technical aspects.

Ben