[Maildev] ESC: (possible) conflict resolution #1 - bug 690644, was: Engineering Council or Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) - where art thou?

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Mon Aug 20 03:42:41 EDT 2018

On 19-08-2018 11:51, Richard Marti wrote:
> Not userChrome.css but userContent.css. And only when bug 690644 is
> applied and set to "Use reader's default colors". Then a
>
> body {
>    background-color: #ccc;
> }
>
> would work also without

This is exactly the problem here. Let *the reader* decide what he wants
to see. That's way more important than letting the sender specify what
he wants to see.

If you want an analogy you can see all the major services. E.g. Twitter
used to let you easily republish tweets in your own styling, but (AFAIK)
don't anymore. This isn't all about branding but I bet they also don't
want tweets looking bad due to 3rd party fiddling - their users want a
consistent look. It's the same with Gmail, I bet that's why body
background isn't supported. Surely they could, but they don't want to
support it since consistency is important for the user experience.

Let's keep these discussions in the relevant bugs though.

  -Magnus