[Maildev] Engineering Council or Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) - where art thou?

Mark Rousell mark.rousell at signal100.com
Fri Aug 17 17:31:15 EDT 2018

On 17/08/2018 14:08, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> in July 2017 Kent James proposed to established an "Engineering
> Council" (or it was suggested to call it Engineering Steering
> Committee (ESC)):
> https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/2017-July/005610.html
>
> Personally I think, since we already have a Council, ESC is the better
> name.
>
> As far as I can see, for over a year nothing has happened apart from
> the establishment of yet another mailing list
> maildev at lists.thunderbird.net.
>
> So I suggest to establish this ESC *now* and with the following members:

As someone who is a TB user and who observes TB development from the
outside, this seems like a very good idea indeed.

A few points:

(1) Is there a mission statement/constitution for the current Council? I
don't mean for the Thunderbird project as a whole but specifically for
the Council?

(2) The ESC (I think "Committee" is best) should also have a clear and
unambiguous mission statement or constitution.

(3) Perhaps the ESC mission statement/constitution should include a
clause on composition of the Committee to ensure a balanced make-up in
future.

(4) Addon/extension authors should be explicitly represented on the ESC.
Extensions were and are key to Thunderbird's success, both historically
and in the future.

(5) Perhaps details of the existing Council and the ESC (if and when it
is formed) should be listed in the 'Get Involved' section of
thunderbird.net.

(6) And apologies if I have lost track or not noticed, but is there a
clear and unambiguous roadmap for Thunderbird development, including
reliance (or lack of) on Firefox core code? There were plenty of
discussions at one time but I did not see (or perhaps just did not
notice) a clear resolution on a way forward. Presumably the ESC will be
responsible for this if such a decision has not yet been made.

--
Mark Rousell