[Maildev] Thunderbird and mailnews peer needs help with Lightning :-(

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Tue Sep 12 03:43:18 EDT 2017

Hi all,

this morning I was called to the PC of my friend running TB 52.3. He
complained that Lightning stopped working.

I checked his installation and Lightning was installed from AMO, since
the Add-ons manager offered "Remove" which it wouldn't do for
distribution add-ons. Correct or wrong conclusion? (*)

So I removed it and was looking for ways to re-activate the packaged
add-on. I went so far as to deinstall and reinstall TB, but the
distribution add-on didn't come back. I even deleted extensions.ini and
extensions.json from the profile and was prompted to allow installation
of all the other add-ons and dictionaries, but not for Lightning. So can
a distribution add-on be reactivated and why does it go missing? (*)

In the end I installed it from AMO but found tht AMO hadn't been updated
since April 2017 and that there were people saying that the AMO version
doesn't work with TB 52.2.1. I installed the April AMO version anyway
and luckily everything was working after that. Should that be updated
more regularly? (*)

I marked my questions with (*). Answers appreciated.

Jörg.