[Maildev] Packaging of Thunderbird for Linux

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Tue Dec 19 17:48:01 EST 2017

Hello!

Those of you who know me likely know that my background is in the world
of Linux. Upon talking to various folks in the Linux community, I have
begun to hear complaints about using TB on various distros and problems
that they experience as a result.

My proposal is to begin packaging via Snaps
<https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/looking-to-snap-up-thunderbird/3253/2>,
Flatpak <https://flatpak.org/>, or AppImage <https://appimage.org/> for
the platform (we can choose just one, we don't have to support all
three). They all deal with the libraries issue in slightly different
ways, but from an end-user perspective are pretty good these days (no
real big issues with any of them).

I know the developers behind each of the projects personally and would
be happy to help with introductions and they would likely be happy to
assist us in implementing spitting out these packages as part of our
process. What I'm proposing is this: let's put out one of these so that
we can better engage with our Linux users. I'm not interested in having
a discussion about which one we use as they have their merits and
downsides. If you have knowledge and/or are willing to help with
building one of these, please weigh in.

Ryan Sipes
Thunderbird Community Manager