[Maildev] Bundling Calendar and defaults

Tom Prince mozilla at hocat.ca
Sun Dec 10 17:53:32 EST 2017

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 12:05 PM MakeMyDay <makemyday at gmx-topmail.de> wrote:

> For Lightning, we decided intentionally to use the distribution folder
> way for versions other then Daily when starting to bundle Lightning to
> allow a for a permanent opt-out with no not-wanted code on your system.
> There is a trade-off regarding respecting the user's decision for a part
> of the TB population and the ease of updating for the remaining part.

Is that still the right decision? If even people who are being paid to work
on Thunderbird have trouble figuring out how to install and/or active the
calendar, then I think we are making the wrong choice. I'm fine with
allowing people to compile a version of Thunderbird that doesn't include
calendar, but (based partly on Ryan's survey) I think we should switch to
enabling it by default, and install it into app-dir/extension[1].

Related to this, we have a bunch of code to package and localize Lighting
and the gdata provider that needs to be manually kept in sync with upstream
code; to be able to generate separate xpi's that can be installed
separately. Given the confusion around installing things separately, I'd
like to switch to just building the extension for distribution as part of
Thunderbird (at least when enabled at build time), or even remove the code
for building separate extensions entirely.

-- Tom

[1] If I understand your explanation, installing into app-dir/distribution
doesn't actually lead to the code not being present on people's systems,
since at the very least, whenever they update, the code will get
re-installed.