[Maildev] Integrating popular and useful extensions into TB (Ryan Sipes)

Ryan Sipes ryan at thunderbird.net
Sat Dec 9 23:49:44 EST 2017

Hey all,

I think I'm caught up enough, trying to read through all of this thread
this evening. Here is my take: Jonathan is concerned about two things,
our ability to roll popular extensions into mainline Thunderbird and the
lack of good, solid, up-to-date documentation surrounding add-ons.

I think we, as a community, should try and be open to Jonathan's
feedback (and all feedback we get from add-on authors). What he's saying
is something we all know (hopefully), and that is that Thunderbird is
not the easiest platform to target at the moment.

What I propose: I'm looking at doing an add-on authors tour and talk
about what can be done to improve their lives. Jonathan, if I could
speak with you on IRC or in a chat of our own and put together some
changes you'd like to see - that would be great. Some kind of mailing
list and maintained documentation (I can oversee this) on breaking
changes that are Thunderbird specific and in a place everyone knows
about would be great. I'll see what I can do.

Finally, something that we need to start being aware of. We, as
maintainers, Thunderbird core developers and team won't always get the
feedback we want, or comments that we completely understand. Our
knee-jerk reaction needs to be trying to understand what is behind the
feedback. If someone says they wish Thunderbird was more like Outlook or
that our documentation sucks - our reaction should be "Why do you think
that? What do you think some options are to improve this?"

This isn't the first bit of feedback we've heard from add-on authors in
regards to Thunderbird being difficult to target, we can do better on
this and I'll solicit some feedback from add-on authors in the form of a
survey next week on how we can improve. Also, I think we should do a
couple of hangouts/chats to continue getting ideas from those writing
add-ons on what we can do to make life easier.

We're all on the same team, we're all working on an awesome project
together. Let's make an effort to understand each other.

Ryan Sipes
Thunderbird Community Manager