[Maildev] Supporting old TB versions

ace acelists at atlas.sk
Sat Dec 9 19:25:24 EST 2017

----- Pôvodná správa -----
Predmet: Re: [Maildev] Supporting old TB versions
Od: Jonathan Kamens <jik at kamens.us>
Pre: Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com>, Thunderbird email developers
<maildev at lists.thunderbird.net>
Dátum: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 17:56:12 -0500

> On 12/9/17 5:10 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> Jonathan Kamens wrote on 09.12.17 22:27:
>>> maintaining backward compatibility with earlier Thunderbird releases
>>> extending back a reasonable amount of time (e.g., I don't know that
>>> add-ons still need to support Thunderbird 3, but it's not
>>> unreasonable to want to continue to support Thunderbird 30).
>> You can axe everything that is before the currently supported
>> releases. Right now, only TB 52 is supported with security fixes.
> According to the data on AMO, as of December 7, 8,866 out of 86,791
> users of the current version of my add-on, i.e., more than 10%, are
> using Thunderbird versions 20 (the earliest version my code is
> compatible with) through <52. Many of them are probably using older
> versions because the OS distribution they're using hasn't released a
> newer package. Furthermore, in some cases the distribution maintainers
> have backported patches to older versions of Thunderbird, so it's
> entirely possible that a user is running a version of Thunderbird
> earlier than 52 without the vulnerabilities you're worried about.
>
> I suspect you'll see similar statistics for other add-ons.
>
> I am not going to tell those users they have to update their OS to keep
> being able to use my add-on. That's not my prerogative. I imagine other
> add-on maintainers feel the same way.
>
> I keep my software up-to-date because I do software for a living and
> it's easy for me. It's not easy for everyone, and therefore not everyone
> does it, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to.

You (and nobody) requires them to upgrade to anything. You just do not
need to keep your addons compatible with the old TB versions. If they
can work on old OS and old TB they surely can live with an old version
of the addon. So leave an old version of the addon available for
download (if you really want to offer it to NEW users with OLD TB) and
have the current version specify a minversion of 52 or similar where you
drop some of the old code. Some of the Javascript engine changes may not
even allow you to have new and old syntax in a single codebase.