[Maildev] Integrating popular and useful extensions into TB

ace acelists at atlas.sk
Sat Dec 9 19:07:37 EST 2017

----- Pôvodná správa -----
Predmet: Re: [Maildev] Integrating popular and useful extensions into TB
Od: Jonathan Kamens <jik at kamens.us>
Pre: ace <acelists at atlas.sk>, Thunderbird email developers
<maildev at lists.thunderbird.net>
Dátum: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 18:15:16 -0500

> On 12/9/17 5:56 PM, ace wrote:
>> I do not understand the uproar and requests from addons authors towards
>> the TB developers to create lists and solutions for changes in
>> Firefox/Toolkit (!) when this information is readily available on the
>> Mozilla wiki and has Firefox teams behind it maintaining it
>> (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Releases).
>
> Yes, it's sort of obvious that many of the people on the Thunderbird
> development team do not understand add-on maintainers well.
>
> The vast majority -- and I mean the VAST majority -- of information in
> the Firefox release notes is entirely irrelevant to Thunderbird add-on
> maintainers.

The VAST majority of the changes is done in Firefox code, see
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Add-ons_Guide_57 . All of the
linked information (on the Firefox page for developers) is relevant to
addon authors. Unless they have a binary or Webextension addon, none of
which work on TB.

> Expecting Thunderbird add-on maintainers who do not understand the
> Firefox code base to be able to wade through those release notes to pick
> out the tiny bits of them that may be relevant to them is incredibly
> unreasonable.

I'd expect any programmer with a chunk of code he maintains can grep
through it to see if he incidentally uses any of the interfaces or
objects clearly listed on the Firefox page. The addon authors use the
common Firefox AND Thunderbird-specific interfaces. Ignoring the vast
majority of the changing codebase (Firefox) is unreasonable.

> Not to mention the fact that as Thunderbird and Firefox diverge, the
> Firefox release notes may not even be accurate for Thunderbird.

Yes and they diverge in a way that allows addon author to do less changes.

> See my previous message to Ben. I am giving you the perspective of an
> add-on maintainer here. You can listen to what I am saying and perhaps
> learn something useful from it, or you can tell me I'm "wrong" for not
> agreeing with you about what my "job" is as an add-on maintainer.

I try to listen and understand. I just do not understand the logic. A
proposal was done to authors NOT maintaining their addons (OK some of
the addons listed are maintained, but that needs to be determined for
each one in a latter phase of the task). You object to the proposal even
though you seem not to be in the target group (you responded and told us
you do not needed it). So what is the point?

> One of those paths is likely to encourage more people to create and
> maintain add-ons, the other one isn't. Which is which, I leave as an
> exercise to the reader.

Yes, but encouraging people to create more addons that they then leave
behind and expect to work unchanged for 10 years by ignoring all news is
also no help to anybody.

> I think I'm probably all done with this conversation. I've said my
> piece. Do what you will with it.

Thanks that you have the manpower to maintain your addon (we don't) and
we can enjoy it on TB 59.

aceman