[Maildev] Integrating popular and useful extensions into TB

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Sat Dec 9 18:15:16 EST 2017

On 12/9/17 5:56 PM, ace wrote:
> I do not understand the uproar and requests from addons authors towards
> the TB developers to create lists and solutions for changes in
> Firefox/Toolkit (!) when this information is readily available on the
> Mozilla wiki and has Firefox teams behind it maintaining it
> (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Releases).

Yes, it's sort of obvious that many of the people on the Thunderbird
development team do not understand add-on maintainers well.

The vast majority -- and I mean the VAST majority -- of information in
the Firefox release notes is entirely irrelevant to Thunderbird add-on
maintainers.

Expecting Thunderbird add-on maintainers who do not understand the
Firefox code base to be able to wade through those release notes to pick
out the tiny bits of them that may be relevant to them is incredibly
unreasonable.

Not to mention the fact that as Thunderbird and Firefox diverge, the
Firefox release notes may not even be accurate for Thunderbird.

See my previous message to Ben. I am giving you the perspective of an
add-on maintainer here. You can listen to what I am saying and perhaps
learn something useful from it, or you can tell me I'm "wrong" for not
agreeing with you about what my "job" is as an add-on maintainer.

One of those paths is likely to encourage more people to create and
maintain add-ons, the other one isn't. Which is which, I leave as an
exercise to the reader.

I think I'm probably all done with this conversation. I've said my
piece. Do what you will with it.

  jik