[Maildev] Integrating popular and useful extensions into TB

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Sat Dec 9 16:27:51 EST 2017

On 12/7/17 2:06 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> What concrete help would you appreciate most from the TB project?

I would like there to be a comprehensive, accurate, maintained web site
documenting the breaking changes in each release of Thunderbird, all in
one place, with clear instructions, and wherever possible sample code,
explaining how add-on maintainers can fix their code to recover from
each breaking change while maintaining backward compatibility with
earlier Thunderbird releases extending back a reasonable amount of time
(e.g., I don't know that add-ons still need to support Thunderbird 3,
but it's not unreasonable to want to continue to support Thunderbird 30).

I would like there to be a mailing list that add-on maintainers can
subscribe to whose one and only purpose is to announce each breaking
change as it is discovered and point add-on maintainers at the
instructions on the aforementioned web site for how to deal with that
particular breaking change.

In the case of a particularly complicated breaking change which is going
to require a lot of work to recover from -- e.g., we're eventually all
going to have to convert our overlay add-ons to bootstrapped add-ons,
right? -- I think it would lovely if Thunderbird developers would
volunteer to help add-on maintainers with the actual coding effort
necessary to recover from the change.

I will happily accept PRs on Github for all of my add-ons! ;-)

FYI, I wrote and maintain:

  * https://github.com/jikamens/send-later (way back in Thunderbird 2
    days it was written by someone else, but by this point I've
    rewritten pretty much the whole thing)
  * https://github.com/jikamens/remote-content-by-folder
  * https://github.com/jikamens/reply-to-multiple-messages
  * https://github.com/jikamens/ShowAllBodyParts (a ridiculously trivial
    add-on which just sets mailnews.display.show_all_body_parts_menu to
    true)
  * https://github.com/jikamens/folder-pane-view-switcher
  * https://github.com/jikamens/enhanced-priority-display
  * https://github.com/jikamens/undigestify
  * https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/addon/imap-received-date/ (I
    haven't gotten around to moving this one from my private repository
    into Github yet; in any case, it's a ridiculously trivial add-on
    which just adds "Received" to mailnews.customDBHeaders)

I've taken over maintainence of orphaned add-ons:

  * https://github.com/jikamens/ToggleReplied

I also help with maintaining:

  * https://github.com/trlkly/dorando-keyconfig

jik