[Maildev] Supporting old TB versions

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Sat Dec 9 17:10:14 EST 2017

Jonathan Kamens wrote on 09.12.17 22:27:
> maintaining backward compatibility with earlier Thunderbird releases
> extending back a reasonable amount of time (e.g., I don't know that
> add-ons still need to support Thunderbird 3, but it's not unreasonable
> to want to continue to support Thunderbird 30).

You can axe everything that is before the currently supported releases.
Right now, only TB 52 is supported with security fixes. All earlier TB
version have many critical security bugs and should not be used anymore.
When trying to support these old versions, you actually do these users a
disservice, because they think all is fine. They MUST update. Breaking
extensions is the least of their problems. Random script kiddies and
worms taking over their computer with all data is what they should worry
about.

Same is true for Firefox and most other browsers.