[Maildev] Is there a way to reactivate the Calendar/Lightning distribution extension after installing a beta?

MakeMyDay makemyday at gmx-topmail.de
Sat Dec 9 09:18:19 EST 2017

There are two different ways to include an addons. Addons in
app-dir/distribution get just installed in the user profile, while
addons in app-dir/extensions are working from that place without getting
installed in the user profile and can only be diabled but not
uninstalled by the user (this is the way Lightning is bundled on Daily).
However, you can over-install the latter with any version of the
respective addon, which is then used in the first place would prevent of
making use of changes in the distributed addon (which may or may not be
wanted).

For Lightning, we decided intentionally to use the distribution folder
way for versions other then Daily when starting to bundle Lightning to
allow a for a permanent opt-out with no not-wanted code on your system.
There is a trade-off regarding respecting the user's decision for a part
of the TB population and the ease of updating for the remaining part.

Regarding compatible versions, for Daily, simply remove overinstalled
copies of the addons and you get catered with the up-to-date and
compatible version.

For beta/esr, remove the mentioned pref if you have problems because you
uninstalled Lightning before. After doing so and as long as you don't
install it manually again, updates will happen on TB update
automatically - apart from that, there exists
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Calendar/Calendar_Versions#Development_Snapshots

For Google provider, for Daily the above mentioned applies and for esr,
use amo (or it's successor). For beta would would have to download it
from the beta builds, if there is no respective verion on amo.

Any change to the existing update behaviour would require changes in the
AddonManager or XPIProvider code, which I assume will not be accepted
anymore since legacy addons support is discontinued in FF.