[Maildev] Integrating popular and useful extensions into TB

ace acelists at atlas.sk
Sat Dec 9 09:41:15 EST 2017

----- Pôvodná správa -----
Predmet: Re: [Maildev] Integrating popular and useful extensions into TB
Od: Matt Harris <unicorn.consulting at gmail.com>
Pre: maildev at lists.thunderbird.net
Dátum: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 08:11:07 +1030
> On 07-Dec-17 8:50 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>>
>> At today's TB Council meeting, we discussed the options how to deal
>> with breaking addons.
>>
>> One suggestion by Wayne that many liked was to integrate popular and
>> useful extensions into TB core. They should contain functionality
>> that is closely related to Thunderbird core, be very useful, and be
>> very popular.

There are multiple options how to do this (if it is ever wanted) so they
need to be investigated and decide upon:
1. keep them as extensions just bundle it with TB (as Lightning). But
would this solve the problems they are facing? Yes, we would update them
when some interface changes hit whole c-c. But the interfaces to enable
them being extensions are still there and those are killed by m-c gradually.
2. will we integrate their code by copying them unter
/mailnews/extensions ? They will still stay as a logical group of files
comprising the feature.
3. will we integrate their code sprinkling it at all the places where it
belongs throughout the c-c tree? This would totally loose the "identity"
of the extension.

The question then is whether the extension authors do this, and the keep
maintaining the code inside the c-c tree.

>> A good starting point are the list of the most popular 10 or so
>> extensions.
>>
>> Another hint are extensions that large enterprise deployments
>> consider vital, e.g. IMAP folder sharing to allow for vacation
>> replacement.
>>
>> Here's a filtered list of the most popular addons:
>>

>> *Name* 	*Userbase* 	*AMO URL*
>> importexporttools 	4,02%
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/324492
>> lookout 	2,11% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/4433
>> enigmail 	1,69% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/71
>> manually-sort-folders 	1,42%
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/15102
>> compactheader 	1,36%
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/13564
>> extra-folder-columns 	1,27%
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/9716
>> quicktext 	0,97% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/640
>> gcontactsync 	0,90%
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/8451
>> signature-switch 	0,88%
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/611
>> remove-duplicate-messages-alte 	0,72%
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/4654
>> send-later-3 	0,70%
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/195275
>> gmail-conversation-view 	0,62%
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/54035
>> mail-merge 	0,60% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/47144
>>

> This is an interesting list,  it also begs a couple of slightly off
> topic observations.
>
> 1. Extra folder columns has been integrated since V38.  So no one
> should have it installed and active if they are keeping up with the
> version releases.  So I think we need to ask about it's presence in
> the list.  Is it telling us about people not updating, flaws in the
> data collection that made the list Or a failure of blacklisting.  This
> add-on should have been blacklisted in V38.

Yes, good question. The addon code was integrated and the addon is
marked compatible only up to TB 37 on AMO. We should try to understand
why there are users with it active.

aceman