[Maildev] Integrating popular and useful extensions into TB

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 16:41:07 EST 2017

On 07-Dec-17 8:50 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:

> At today's TB Council meeting, we discussed the options how to deal
> with breaking addons.
>
> One suggestion by Wayne that many liked was to integrate popular and
> useful extensions into TB core. They should contain functionality that
> is closely related to Thunderbird core, be very useful, and be very
> popular.
>
> A good starting point are the list of the most popular 10 or so
> extensions.
>
> Another hint are extensions that large enterprise deployments consider
> vital, e.g. IMAP folder sharing to allow for vacation replacement.
>
> Here's a filtered list of the most popular addons:
>

> *Name* 	*Userbase* 	*AMO URL*
> importexporttools 	4,02%
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/324492
> lookout 	2,11% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/4433
> enigmail 	1,69% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/71
> manually-sort-folders 	1,42%
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/15102
> compactheader 	1,36%
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/13564
> extra-folder-columns 	1,27%
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/9716
> quicktext 	0,97% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/640
> gcontactsync 	0,90% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/8451
> signature-switch 	0,88%
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/611
> remove-duplicate-messages-alte 	0,72%
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/4654
> send-later-3 	0,70%
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/195275
> gmail-conversation-view 	0,62%
> https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/54035
> mail-merge 	0,60% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/47144

This is an interesting list,  it also begs a couple of slightly off
topic observations.

1. Extra folder columns has been integrated since V38.  So no one should
have it installed and active if they are keeping up with the version
releases.  So I think we need to ask about it's presence in the list.
Is it telling us about people not updating, flaws in the data collection
that made the list Or a failure of blacklisting.  This add-on should
have been blacklisted in V38.

2. Compact header integration has been discussed since  7 years ago in
Bug 634831.  The interest was there way back.  Folk with an interest in
completing the original vision of tabs were also suggesting that was a
better solution.

.Matt