[Maildev] Obligatory GitHub vs Mercurial (Mozilla-hosted) Question

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri Dec 8 02:44:14 EST 2017

Magnus Melin wrote on 08.12.17 06:55:
> On linux, installing mercurial is maybe 30s and even on Windows,
> you'll set it up in a few minutes. I'm sorry, but if 30s of your time
> is a major hurdle to contribute

The install time is not the issue. Using it is. hg is as different from
git as Windows is from Mac. Similar concepts, but still hair-tearingly
different. If you're used to Mac, you'll just hate Windows. If you're
used to git, you'll just hate hg. If you demand people to do something
completely different than they are used to, a large part of them is not
going to be happy about it.

> For comparison, setting up the build environment on Windows is a
> multi-hour effort even on a fast machine and fast connection.
> Downloading the initial repos is almost 3GB. I would think on the list
> of things blocking contribution, these are more important hurdles, but
> of course not easily addressable.

That's right. So let's please address those that we can address.

> Conversely, why should we make it harder for people working on Mozilla
> (and used to hg) to contribute the off patches to Thunderbird?

Do we have Mozilla employees contributing patches for us? A significant
amount?

Ben