[Maildev] Obligatory GitHub vs Mercurial (Mozilla-hosted) Question

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Thu Dec 7 16:04:51 EST 2017

It's a justified question, but it's about more than just git or hg, it's
about the workflows to actually get the patch in tree. I think when
people argue that "git is more familiar" it's much about the github
flow, not so much about which source control system you're using.
Ultimately they are not that different.

Mozilla and Thunderbird has the workflow that you do your change, submit
the patch for review in bugzilla, and get it landed. Quite commonly for
projects on github your fork is actually that, a fork, that you could be
running for an extended time. This has very different from the situation
with Thunderbird, were you to create your fork and submit a pull request
for that.

Mozilla is also putting a lot of resources into streamlining this flow
with autoland plans etc., that will in time be integral parts of the
bugzilla workflow. Switching to git would make following this quite a
bit harder for Thunderbird. There is also the issue that the code base
(combined mozilla-central + comm-central) is too large to be allowed on
github (or bitbucket for that matter, both have a 2G limit), and using
their issue tracking is not sufficient for our needs - like hidden bugs
for security items. You might not realize it, but we (and Mozilla) are
really working through bugzilla much than anyone coming from the outside
could ever imagine. We're not abandoning that, it's the backbone of the
project.

Even setting the above points aside, it's not reasonable to use another
version control than mozilla, and having a git mirror is also just
problematic if you ask me. Having that choice is more confusion than
just having new contributors run a few commands in mercurial. Somehow I
don't buy that hg. vs git would actually be a major barrier to contribute.

  -Magnus