[Maildev] Integrating LookOut / TNEF / winmail.dat

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed Dec 6 17:46:22 EST 2017

Why it's useful to integrate this:

Once in a while, Microsoft Outlook (the desktop application) decides to
send out these "winmail.dat" files. They contain the actual email and/or
attachment. Without decoding it, you can't read what the sender wanted
to tell you. It maybe a meeting invitation (and then you don't know when
the meeting will be), and you have to ask back. It's highly
embarrassing, esp. in business negotiations. It has happened to me.

I am not sure about this particular addon, whether it works well. I'm
just saying that the functionality would be useful for our users.

Even as I despise the idea of winmail.dat. But given that it's one of
our most popular addons, that shows there's a need.