[Maildev] Integrating popular and useful extensions into TB

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed Dec 6 17:20:23 EST 2017

At today's TB Council meeting, we discussed the options how to deal with
breaking addons.

One suggestion by Wayne that many liked was to integrate popular and
useful extensions into TB core. They should contain functionality that
is closely related to Thunderbird core, be very useful, and be very popular.

A good starting point are the list of the most popular 10 or so extensions.

Another hint are extensions that large enterprise deployments consider
vital, e.g. IMAP folder sharing to allow for vacation replacement.

Here's a filtered list of the most popular addons:

*Name* 	*Userbase* 	*AMO URL*
importexporttools 	4,02%
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/324492
lookout 	2,11% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/4433
enigmail 	1,69% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/71
manually-sort-folders 	1,42%
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/15102
compactheader 	1,36% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/13564
extra-folder-columns 	1,27%
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/9716
quicktext 	0,97% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/640
gcontactsync 	0,90% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/8451
signature-switch 	0,88%
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/611
remove-duplicate-messages-alte 	0,72%
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/4654
send-later-3 	0,70% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/195275
gmail-conversation-view 	0,62%
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/54035
mail-merge 	0,60% 	https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/47144

Here, "Userbase" means the percentage of all TB users that have this
particular addon installed. That means e.g. 1 in 166 users have "mail
redirect" installed. There may be many more users who would like to use
this feature, but don't know that the extension exists, and more that
would find that feature useful, but don't know that something like this
exists. So, we cannot just take the raw numbers, but also need to
consider the usefulness for our users in general.

Please discuss each addon in its own thread. To help finding the thread,
please start the subject with "Integrating"

Ben