[Maildev] Obligatory GitHub vs Mercurial (Mozilla-hosted) Question

Andrei Hajdukewycz sancus at thunderbird.net
Mon Dec 4 23:02:22 EST 2017

On 2017-12-04 6:20 PM, Tom Prince wrote:
>  And, despite Ben's off-hand comment that Andrei can just throw
> something up, setting up a production quality VCS hosting service,
> that has proper backups, monitoring, security, scalability isn't
> trivial, and certainly an order of magnitude bigger commitment than
> setting up a hobby server.

I agree with this and to add to it, standing up a single VPS with git
installed is fine and all but it's not equivalent to Github or Mozilla
hosting. Github has a history of between 3 and 4 nines of
availability(99.9-99.99%), multiple data centers with failover, and lots
of other work done on systems. It's far more reliable, secure, and
guaranteed than anything that I can do with our current level of budgeting.